Say goodbye to April showers and welcome in May! The sun is out and so are the farmers markets. Enjoy the warm weather with a tasty baked good, samples of homemade jams and honeys, live music, and fresh produce. Check out the Oregonian’s helpful guide
for a market open in your neighborhood. And why not get the whole family involved? Get kids excited about grocery shopping at the farmers market and try doing a fun scavenger hunt.
Here is a list of questions to guide your hunt:
1. What season is it now?____________________________
List 3 fruits and 3 vegetables that are available at the farmer’s market right now.
FRUITS: 1.)_______________ 2.)________________ 3.)______________
VEGGIES: 1.)_______________ 2.)________________ 3.)________________
2. Name one fruit or vegetable that comes in many different varieties at the market. _____________________
Name three of the varieties: _______________________________________________________
3. What is your favorite fruit or vegetable at the market right now? _________________________
4. Find a farm that is less than 100 miles from the market.
a. Name the farm: ________________________
b. What do they grow? _______________________________________________________
c. Why is distance from the market important? ________________________________________________________________________
5. Name a fruit or vegetable available at the market that you’ve never seen before. _________________________
6. Ask three vendors what time they woke up this morning, and how long it took them to get to the market:
7. Find a purple fruit or vegetable: ______________________________
8. Find a vegetable that grows underground: __________________________
9. What is the most interesting thing you found for sale at the farmer’s market today? ___________________________________________
And don't forget to check out the seasonal Let's Grow recipes
to help with your shopping list before heading to the market!